How to Break the Cycle of Concrete Repair and Repair Again
Concrete Repairs That Last
By Rusty Robbins, BGCI Concrete Solutions Director of Business Development
It’s not uncommon for industrial facility concrete to break down within years, if not months. But it’s not inevitable.
Too often, concrete repairs are treated like a bandage. They fix the immediate issue but fail to address the root cause of the deterioration. The result is a cycle of repair-and-repair-again that can lead to significant damage and serious risk to operations.
The cycle can be broken by using the assess-design-build model to repair underlying issues before a fix is put in place. Using this method will also ensure the right concrete mix is used for the application to deliver lasting results.
A Three-Step Method for Durable Concrete Repair and Restoration
The assess-design-build method is broken out into three stages:
- Assess: In the assessment stage, concrete specialists diagnose the root cause of the damage or deterioration. Some causes of deterioration are clear-cut; others may require engineering assistance or laboratory testing for diagnosis. Not only does the assessment provide insight into the cause of the damage, but it also provides important data for developing an accurate scope of work for the repairs.
- Design: The design stage is when the best and most appropriate solution is developed. This involves both correcting the underlying issue as well as selecting the most appropriate concrete mix. The fact is, not all concrete is the same. What works for one application may be ill-suited for another. Getting this right is crucial to breaking the repair-and-repair-again cycle.
- Build: During the build stage, the team will safely and efficiently execute the solution. Thanks to the work done during the previous two stages, the team will have a well-defined schedule, budget, and parameters for success. All of these are necessary components for reducing client risk, particularly in the industrial sector.
Save Time and Money with Industrial Concrete Assessments
The best strategy for getting the most from your concrete structures is to stop damage before it can take root. This requires placing the same emphasis on proactive maintenance for civil infrastructure as for process equipment.
Industrial owners and operators well know the value of proactive maintenance plans for their process equipment. Regularly scheduled maintenance during turnarounds or outages prevents unplanned downtime and costly repairs down the road.
In contrast, a reactive approach is often taken to civil infrastructure. Simply put, civil infrastructure is repaired only when damage causes a disruption to operations. Conducting assessments of your civil infrastructure on a regular basis will save money and time in the long run.
Concrete Repair and Restoration Specialists
BGCI’s Concrete Solutions team specializes in helping facility owners and managers extend the lifespan of their concrete assets. We apply the assess-design-build model to every project to ensure we can assemble the right team, technology, and materials:
- Right Team: We assemble concrete repair specialists, engineers, and even material suppliers as needed to assess the problem and confirm the approach.
- Right Technology: From visual assessments to laboratory testing, we use every means at our disposal to make sure we have a full picture of the scope of work before we send our crew on site.
- Right Materials: Concrete is not a one-size-fits-all material. We work with our material suppliers to make sure we have the right material for the job, whether it’s sulfate-resistant concrete, acid-resistant coatings, or super-dense material.
Our turnkey solutions incorporate the following:
- Engineered Assessment Services
- Engineered Repair Scopes
- Safety and Quality
- Proper Material Selection
- Skilled Craftsmen
Break free from costly and futile repair cycles. Get started today by contacting Rusty Robbins at RobbinsR@BakerGCI.com or via our website at https://bakergci.com.